John Huang is the managing partner of Yuanda and one of its founders. For more than 30 years, he has represented leading U.S. and European multinationals, as well as Chinese state-owned enterprises, on matters that have helped change the legal landscape in China.
John advises clients on cross-border mergers and acquisitions, China inbound and outbound investment, corporate structuring and restructuring, regulatory compliance, antitrust and competition, tax, real estate and intellectual property issues. He represents organizations from a wide range of industries, including manufacturing, infrastructure, technology, new media, and telecom (TMT), chemicals and energy, healthcare and life sciences, and food and agriculture.
At a time when both the geopolitical landscape and the Chinese regulatory environment are rapidly changing, John’s clients value his extensive firsthand experience liaising with authorities at all levels of the Chinese government. Whether related to anti-bribery or competition issues, John has led multidisciplinary international teams in proposing, negotiating and resolving regulatory challenges for companies in China. John has helped clients manage large-scale crises that make national and international headlines, including government raids, public-relations emergencies and geopolitical conflicts. John’s ability to help his clients navigate the difficult intersection of law, compliance, business operation and reputation management have earned him a reputation for providing pragmatic and effective legal solutions even in the most difficult circumstances.
- Represented a leading global U.S.-based meat-processing company in a comprehensive food-safety investigation initiated by various Chinese regulatory authorities, including the General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ), the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the Administration of Industry and Commerce (AIC) and the Public Security Bureau (PSB). The matter led to the strengthening of more than 10 revised food-safety laws and regulations in China and Shanghai and was named by China’s Supreme Court as one of the 10 most important legal cases of the year.
- Represented a Chinese state-owned enterprise in a multiyear FCPA investigation triggered by its foreign joint-venture partner in an international corruption case involving both Chinese and U.S. legal issues and requiring significant interactions with both jurisdictions’ governments.
- Represented a Fortune 500 health care company in the formulation of its business structure in China and in negotiation with numerous joint-venture partners on the establishment of clinics in China.
- Represented a leading U.S.-based global nutrition company in an antimonopoly investigation conducted by the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC), obtaining leniency and a lightened penalty.
- Represented a multinational software company in an antibribery investigation conducted by the Shanghai Administration of Industry and Commerce.
- Represented a leading international real estate developer in regulatory matters involving the State Administration of Foreign Exchange (SAFE), the Ministry of Commerce (MOFCOM) and the State Administration of Industry and Commerce (SAIC).
- Defended a Fortune 500 company against allegations of criminal tax evasion by senior management in investigations by various Chinese tax authorities.
- Worked with a U.S.-based global equipment manufacturer to protect its sizable intellectual property portfolio in China.
- Represented a leading U.S.-based automobile company in one of the most important intellectual property litigation cases in China of the past decade.
- Represented one of the world’s largest privately held food and agribusiness companies in its comprehensive corporate, tax, and FCPA due diligence of several Chinese farm companies that it was interested in acquiring.
- Represented one of the world’s largest food companies in a nationwide investigation by the State Administration of Taxation.
- Represented a major U.S.-based global media group in negotiations with a Chinese media company to establish the first joint venture for audiovisual products in China.
- Represented a Chinese state-owned steel group in negotiations with a EU-based global engineering company to establish numerous major joint-venture projects across China.
- Represented the Shanghai Stock Exchange in negotiations with several global software companies in the establishment of a next-generation trading system that stands as one of the most sophisticated such platforms in the world.
- Represented a U.S. healthcare institution in the establishment of multiple healthcare clinics in China, involving Chinese regulatory approvals, business structures with local joint-venture partners, definitive agreements to form joint-venture healthcare institutions, and management companies.
- Represented a U.S.-based global oil-and-gas company in establishing joint ventures in China and in the acquisition of Chinese companies.
- Represented a leading Chinese state-owned enterprise throughout the development of a power-station project in California.
- Represented a U.S.-based leading pharmaceutical company in the largest-ever merger filing in China, involving complex competition and antitrust issues.
- Represented a leading U.S.-based medical-device company in acquiring various Chinese companies.
- Represented a well-known U.S.-based fast-food chain supplier in its restructuring and plant relocations in China.
- Represented the largest U.S. dairy collective in negotiations regarding a strategic alliance with a leading Chinese food company.
- Named an Eminent Practitioner in “Corporate Investigations/Anti-Corruption (PRC Firms)” by Chambers Greater China Region 2022 and Chambers Asia-Pacific 2020 to 2021
- Ranked in Tier 1 in “Regulatory Compliance” in “2022 China’s Top Ranked Lawyers” by LEGALBAND
- Ranked in Band 1 in “Corporate Investigations/Anti-Corruption (PRC Firms)” by Chambers Asia-Pacific 2018 and 2019
- Named as one of Asia-Pacific’s leading lawyers in “Financial Services Regulatory” in China by Asialaw Leading Lawyers in 2014 and 2015
- Named “A Leading Individual in Corporate in China” by Chambers 2012
- Named as one of Asia-Pacific’s leading lawyers in “Regulatory & Government” in China by Asialaw Leading Lawyers in 2012 and 2013
- Named as one of Asia-Pacific’s leading lawyers in “IP / Regulatory & Government” in China by Asialaw Leading Lawyers in 2011
- Named “A Leading, Pragmatic, and Experienced Lawyer in China” by Chambers in 2009
- Named by Asian Legal Business (ALB) one of the Hot 25 lawyers in China in 2008
- Named one of Asia-Pacific’s leading lawyers in Dispute Resolution/IP in China by Asialaw Leading Lawyers in 2004, 2007 and 2008
- Cited as a Leading Lawyer by Asialaw and as one of the Hot 25 lawyers in China by ALB in 2007
- Named local law firm Dealmaker of the Year and named one of the Hot 100 lawyers for the Asia Pacific region by ALB in 2006